There was no doubt that Cisco ASR 1000 series is a critical part of the Cisco Borderless Network Architecture. What does it look like? What kind of role does it play in a network? Yeah, here we will talk about the industry’s first aggregation services router. All ASR 1000 Series models use the innovative and powerful Cisco QuantumFlow Processor, which provides a huge leap in performance and resiliency for network processors. (A processor built for edge-based service delivery)
CiscoASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Routers aggregate multiple WAN connections and network services, including encryption and traffic management, and forward them across WAN connections at line speeds from 2.5 to 200 Gbps. The routers contain both hardware and software redundancy in an industry-leading high-availability design.
Where the Cisco ASR 1000 Fits
The latest addition to the Cisco ASR Family is the Cisco ASR 1001-X Router, a single-rack-unit (RU) router supporting 2.5- to 20-Gbps forwarding capacity. Cisco ASR 1001-X Router speeds can be “turned up” incrementally to as much as 20 Gbps with a simple throughput upgrade license, rather than having to purchase additional hardware blades or new routers.
The Cisco ASR 1000 Series supports Cisco IOSXE Software, a modular operating system with modular packaging, feature velocity, and powerful resiliency. The Cisco ASR 1000 Series Embedded Services Processors (ESPs), which are based on Cisco QuantumFlow Processor technology, accelerate many advanced features such as crypto-based access security; Network Address Translation (NAT), thread defense with Cisco Zone-Based Firewall (ZBFW), deep packet inspection (DPI), Cisco Unified Border Element (CUBE), and a diverse set of data center interconnect (DCI) features. These services are implemented in Cisco IOS XE Software without the need for additional hardware support.
Cisco ASR 1000 Routers sit at the edge of your enterprise data center or large office connecting to the WAN, as well as in service provider points of presence (POPs).
Cisco Enterprise WAN Routing Portfolio
Cisco ASR 1000 Series Can Help Solve…
Enterprises worldwide face several new WAN infrastructure challenges:
- WAN edge infrastructure performance: Enterprises need to deliver higherperformance, higher-bandwidth services over their converged WANs, along with capacity headroom to operate efficiently.
- Highly available WAN infrastructure: Enterprises need to provide anytime, everywhere access to applications and services over the WAN. This provision requires a more highly available, resilient, and adaptive infrastructure than they have today.
- WAN security for data protection and compliance: Businesses need to satisfy industry regulations regarding data privacy, and adhere to regulations such as the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX), Payment Card Industry (PCI), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), and so on.
- Service delivery with application intelligence: Enterprises need to meet demanding internal service-level agreements (SLAs), with improved service delivery and application performance over the WAN.
The Cisco ASR 1000 Family contains seven members with varying types of I/O connectivity, slots, and different maximum throughput rates. All models use the innovative and powerful Cisco QuantumFlow Processor and support the same feature set based on the Cisco IOS XE Operating System. All platforms use the same hardware shared port adapters (SPAs). All this commonality simplifies management and operations.
- Cisco ASR 1001 Router
- Cisco ASR 1001-X Router (New)
- Cisco ASR 1002 Fixed Router
- Cisco ASR 1002 Router
- Cisco ASR 1002-X Router
- Cisco ASR 1004 Router
- Cisco ASR 1006 Router
- Cisco ASR 1013 Router
More about Cisco ASR 1000 Series Components
Chassis Form Factors
Cisco ASR 1000 Series Routers–Software Licensing
Software feature licenses are required to activate services on Cisco ASR 1000 Series Routers. Currently, two types of feature licenses are available. Certain services require only a right-to-use (RTU) license, whereas other services require both an RTU license and one or more number-of-sessions licenses. All the licenses on the Cisco ASR 1000 Series are honor-based, meaning that the licenses are not enforced through a product activation or license key.
For fixed platforms Cisco ASR 1001, ASR 1001-X, and ASR 1002-X, one of the following five packages is required:
- Cisco ASR 1001 IOS XE UNIVERSAL-NO ENCRYPTION
- Cisco ASR 1001 IOS XE UNIVERSAL-NO PAYLOAD ENCRYPTION
- Cisco ASR 1001 IOS XE UNIVERSAL
- Cisco ASR 1001 IOS XE UNIVERSAL W/O Lawful Intercept
- Cisco ASR 1001 IOS XE UNIVERSAL-NO PAYLOAD ENCRYPTION W/O Lawful Intercept
To enable a set of required features, one of the following three technology packages is required:
- ◦ Cisco ASR 1000 IP Base License
- ◦ Cisco ASR 1000 Advanced IP Services License
- ◦ Cisco ASR 1000 Advanced Services License
For modular platforms Cisco ASR 1004, ASR 1006, and ASR 1013, you can choose from six supported consolidated packages in each Cisco IOS XE Software release:
- IP Base without Crypto
- IP Base
- Advanced IP Services
- Advanced IP Services without Crypto
- Advanced Enterprise Services
- Advanced Enterprise Services without Crypto
If you want to read more about Cisco ASR 1000 Series Routers, such as the compare models, models, more data sheets, related interfaces and modules, you can read here
More Topics about Cisco Routers you can read here http://blog.router-switch.com/category/reviews/cisco-routers/