In this article, we will introduce the new member of Cisco ASR 1000 family—the ASR1001-HX. What kind of it?
(The ASR 1000 Series includes seven models: the 1-rack-unit (1RU) ASR 1001-X, ASR 1001-HX, the 2RU ASR 1002-X, ASR 1002-HX, the 4RU ASR 1004, the 6RU ASR 1006 and ASR 1006-X, the 9RU ASR 1009-X, and the 13RU ASR 1013.)
The ASR 1001-HX Router supports software redundancy without redundant hardware, just like Cisco ASR 1001-X, 1002-X, 1002-HX, and 1004 Routers. It is ideal for WAN aggregation or Internet edge devices, or managed services.
For starter, the ‘H’ in ASR1001-HX represents ‘High-end’; so, it is a high-end, fixed platform with the same 1RU form-factor. ASR1001-X is max’d at 20Gbps performance and ASR1002-X at 36Gbps, while ASR1001-HX starts at 44Gbps; in essence, ASR1001-HX is designed to address the market where multiple 10GE interfaces are required as providers are moving from 1GE to 10GE circuits to accommodate the ever-increasing bandwidth needs due to high bandwidth consuming applications such as video and social media. Secondly, ASR1001-HX is designed to handle Ethernet based interfaces only; the ASR1001-X and ASR1002-X, on the other hand, support SPAs with legacy interfaces such as POS, ATM, T1/E1, T3/E3, etc. In short, ASR1001-X and ASR1002-X are here to stay.
Now, let’s dive right into the ASR1001-HX and explore what this router can do for you. With consolidated control plane (Route Processor), data plane (Forwarding Processors), and built-in 10GE/1GE interfaces architecture, ASR1001-HX is equipped with these powerful components and capabilities:
- Intel Gladden quad core running at 2.5 GHz–only one core is currently used as control plane; the remaining 3 are not utilized, making them perfect candidates for applications such as container, application hosting, even for 3rd party applications.
- Either dual-AC or dual-DC or dual-HVDC Power Supplies (future), hot-swappable and FRU-able from Back panel, providing 1+1 redundancy for Power Supplies (PEMs)
- FRU-able crypto module (not hot swappable), coupled with “pay-as-you-grow” crypto performance upgradable licenses, it provides 8Gbps or 16Gbps crypto (IMIX) performance; for large (1400B) packets, it can deliver up to 29Gbps crypto performance; best of all, you only pay for up to 16Gbps crypto performance; anything above that, you get it for free
- Suite-B encryption is also supported for diverse VPN security solutions.
- Single Yoda ASIC, the 2nd generation Cisco QFP technology which is the heart of the ASR1001-HX data plane, containing 62 packet processing engines, each engine can have 4 processing threads; this means the ASR1001-HX can process 62 * 4 = 248 packets simultaneously, providing 30+ MPPS (Million Packets Per-Second) forwarding with universal k9 baseline feature set, yielding 60Gbps+ total system output performance for IPv4 & IPv6
- Supports up to 88 Gbps (8x10GE + 8x1GE built-in ports) input traffic into the system; obviously the system is oversubscribed in this case; however, just like all other existing platforms within ASR1000 product family, ASR1001-HX is designed to handle oversubscription with classification and scheduling engine
- In case you are not aware, out of the 16 built-in ports, 4 of them can be configured as either 10GE or 1GE, providing additional level of flexibility for future growth if you need to move from 1GE interface to 10GE interface
- MACSec is also supported on each of the 16 built-in 10GE or 1GE ports, providing point-to-point and/or point-to-multipoint connection support for DCI, Campus interconnect, and Hop-Spoke deployment topology
- With default 8GB memory, upgradable to 16GB, the ASR1001-HX can scale up to 3.5 million IPv4 or IPv6 routes
- 2 million Firewall or traditional NAT Sessions can be achieved at linerate, generating 60Gbps FW/NAT performance
- Even if you were to use it as an AVC (Application Visibility Control, which is our term for DPI – Deep Packet Inspection) appliance, the ASR1001-HX can achieve up to 30Gbps performance
- When used as BNG, this 1RU form-factor router can terminate up to 29,000 BB sessions, plus 16,000 L2TP tunnels
- Last but not least, ASR1001-HX also supports IOS software redundancy without redundant hardware, just like the rest of existing ASR1001-X, 1002-X, 1002-HX, and 1004 routers.
With its built-in four 10-GE ports, eight 1-GE ports, and four configurable 10-GE / 1-GE ports, up to 60Gbps total system bandwidth, and the instant-on service capabilities and on-demand crypto capability up to 29 Gbps (1400B), the ASR 1001-HX is ideal for:
- WAN aggregation and secure WAN
- Internet edge
- Data center interconnect
- Intelligent WAN (IWAN)
- Managed Services
- Small to medium BNG
More Related Cisco ASR 1000 Series Topics