What the Cisco SD-Access can do for business? Cisco SD-Access is an intent-based networking solution that translates business intent into networking configurations.
Learn More: Cisco’s New Intent-based Networking
Imagine being able to bring Software-Defined, fully programmable, fabric-based network Automation and Assurance to your Enterprise Campus, WAN and Branch network environments… with built in Group-based Security + Segmentation and Quality of Service!
The new Cisco DNA Software Defined Access (SD-Access) combines the Campus Fabric and IWAN overlay solutions with Cisco TrustSec, into a common API-driven GUI ecosystem comprised of DNA Center: APIC-EM, ISE, NDP and others.
The SD-Access solution can be summarized by the following attributes:
- CVD / RNA based network design
- LISP based control-plane overlay
- VXLAN based data-plane encapsulation
- CTS / SGT based policy management
- NDP based fabric assurance
- APIC-EM based fabric automation
The SD-Access solution will work on the following platforms (FCS 1.0):
- Catalyst 3650 and 3850 (all models)
- Catalyst 4500-E + Sup8E/9E and 4700 Cards
- Catalyst 6807-XL + Sup2T/6T and 6800 Cards
- Catalyst 6880-X or C6840-X (all models)
- Catalyst 9300, 9400 and 9500 (all models)
- Nexus 7700 + Sup2E and M3 Cards
- ASR 1000-X or 1000-HX (all models)
- ISR 4430 or 4450 (all models)
- Cisco WLC 3504, 5520 or 8540
- Cisco AP 1800/2800/3800 (Wave 2)
The Business Benefits of Cisco SD-Access
Cisco SD-Access is an intent-based networking solution that translates business intent into networking configurations.
The following are the key capabilities of this solution.
- Policy-Based Validation: SD-Access builds a standards-based network fabric that converts a high-level business policy into network configuration. One of the key use-cases for this is segmentation of users, devices and things with identity-based policy regardless of location. Gone are the days of dependency on VLANs and IP subnets!
- Intuitive Automation: SD-Access uses the new DNA-Center built on top of our award winning SDN controller APIC-EM for end-to-end automation. An comparable analogy for this would be the transition to a GUI interface that Windows 3.0 drove in the early 90’s from the previous CLI-only MS-DOS interface. It ushered in an entirely new era for home computing and the same is now true for Enterprise networks. Welcome to a world of software-defined segmentation with policy controls at your fingertips!
- Contextual Analytics and Dynamic Remediation: Combined with our new Network Data Platform (NDP), SD-Access validates the original business intent is satisfied and takes corrective actions when a conflict arises. This means network engineers can spend more time designing better networks instead of spending a majority of their time in fighting network-related fires!
Additionally, SD-Access capabilities are available through programmable APIs at both a controller layer as well as standard-based models on the infrastructure itself offering unprecedented flexibility and customer control.
The Business Benefits
The biggest benefit of SD-Access is the ability to deliver business policy from network edge to cloud and improve network flexibility. But that’s not all SD-Access offers:
- Reduce Operating Expenditure: SD-Access Automation and workflows minimize the time and expense on operational tasks and allows network engineers and architects to focus on strategic initiatives. Companies like Royal Caribbean have embraced the segmentation and automation capabilities of Cisco SD-Access to provide secure access and remotely provision cruise-ships worldwide to reduce cost.
- Improve Compliance: Automatic validation of business intent simplifies auditing and compliance regulations by ensuring that intent translates to operations. Wipro, a worldwide leader in IT consulting is looking at Cisco SD-Access to quickly deploy services to IT locations worldwide and provide clear segmentation for their clients across the globe ensuring compliance.
- Optimize User Experience: A SD-Access network optimizes the network to get the most out of the infrastructure which in turn provides and overall better user experience. Deutsche Bahn looks to SD-Access to consolidate their locations across the country with consistent policy and provide their users with the best experience possible.
Cisco has also ensured unprecedented investment protection for our customers by supporting this solution on not only our cutting-edge Catalyst 9000 product family of Switches but also our existing portfolio of Enterprise Networking products.
Learn more: Cisco DNA Products and Solutions