How to choose your ASA 5506-X NGFW Model? Does an ASA5506-K9 installed with the FTD image become an ASA5506-FTD-K9?
Maybe you have the same question above as a Cisco NGFW user.
Firepower Threat Defense (like ASA5506-FTD-K9) image only supports smart licensing, where the ASA with Firepower services (like ASA5506-K9) supports both classic licensing and smart licensing.
- ASA5506-K9 includes a control license to be installed as a classic license. (Or migrated to smart licensing)
- ASA5506-FTD-K9 has to retrieve all licenses on the smart licensing portal.
|ASA 5506-X with FirePOWER services, 8 GE Data, 1 GE Mgmt., AC, 3DES/AES, SSD|
|ASA 5506-X with Threat Defense software, 8 GE Data, 1 GE Mgmt., AC, 3DES/AES, SSD|
Learn more: Cisco Firepower System Feature Licenses
You should notice that not all features from the ASA is supported in the Firepower Threat defense image.
ASA 5506-X NGFW combines the proven network firewall with the industry’s most effective next-gen IPS, url filtering, and advanced malware protection.
The Cisco ASA 5500-FTD-X Series is a family of eight threat-focused NGFW security platforms. Their throughput range addresses use cases from the small or branch office to the Internet edge. They deliver superior threat defense in a cost-effective footprint.
Industry’s First Threat-focused Next-gen Firewall
Adaptive. Threat focused. Visibility. Flexibility.
Feature Highlights and Capability
- Stateful inspection throughput (maximum): 750Mbps
- Stateful inspection throughput (multiprotocol2): 300 Mbps
- (3DES/AES) VPN throughput:100Mbps
- Users / Nodes: Unlimited
- Throughput: Application Control (AVC) – 250 Mbps
- Throughput: Application Control (AVC) and IPS – 125 Mbps
- Maximum concurrent sessions: 20,000 – 50,000
- Maximum New Connections per second: 5,000
- Integrated Wireless: N/A
- USB port type ‘A’, High Speed 2.0
- 8 x 1 Gigabit Ethernet (GE)
- Serial Port: 1 RJ-45 and Mini USB console
- Solid-state drive: 50GB mSata
- Memory / System Flash: 4GB / 8GB
- Supported applications: More than 3,000
- URL categories: 80+
- Number of URLs categorized
- Centralized Mgmt: Multi-device Cisco Security Manager (CSM) and Cisco Firepower Management Center
- On-Device Management-ASDM (version 7.3 or higher required)
“Since the makeover, I don’t have to worry about anything and that helps me rest easy at night.” -Dr Mertz, Owner, Grosse Point Orthodontics
Choose your ASA 5506-X NGFW model
|Software Image||ASA with Firepower Services||Firepower Threat Defense|
|Throughput Capacity||Up to 300Mbps||Up to 300Mbps|
Learn More Quick Specs of ASA5506-K9 and ASA5506-FTD-K9
|Interfaces||8 x 1 Gigabit Ethernet interface,1 management port|
|Stateful inspection throughput (multiprotocol)||300 Mbps|
|Maximum 3DES/AES VPN throughput||100 Mbps|
|IPsec site-to-site VPN peers||10; 50 with Security Plus license|
|Virtual interfaces (VLANs)||5; 30 with Security Plus license|
|Power (AC or DC)||AC only|
|Height (rack units)||Desk Top|
|Dimensions (D x H x W)||9.23 in x 1.72 in x 7.871 in|
|Package Weight||3.78 Kg|
ASA5506-FTD-K9- Quick Specs
|Product Description||ASA 5506-X with Firepower Threat Defense. 8GE. AC|
Application Control (AVC)
Application Control (AVC) and IPS
|Stateful inspection throughput (maximum1)||750 Mbps|
|Stateful inspection throughput (multiprotocol2)||300 Mbps|
|Triple Data Encryption Standard/
Advanced Encryption Standard (3DES/AES) VPN throughput3
|Dimensions(H x W x D)||1.72 x 7.871 x 9.23 in.(4.369 x 19.992 x 23.444 cm)|
|Weight (with AC power supply)||4 lb (1.82 kg)|
|Product Description||ASA 5506-X with Firepower Threat Defense. 8GE. AC||ASA 5508-X with Firepower Threat Defense. 8GE. AC|
|Stateful Inspection Throughput
|300 Mbps||500 Mbps|
|Maximum 3DES/AES VPN Throughput||100 Mbps||175 Mbps|
|Height (rack units)||Desk Top||1 RU|