A new Cisco catalyst series switch of the Catalyst 6800 family has been announced recently by Cisco. It is the Cisco Catalyst 6840-X backbone switch to address new network backbone needs, especially in space constrained deployments.
The Cisco 6840-X is based on the Cisco Catalyst 6800, with more than 3000 features and maturity of software code.
The Cisco Catalyst 6840-X is the smallest Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) aggregator or Instant Access controller in the Cisco 6800 Catalyst Family. The 6840-X offers the following four SKUs:
- 16 and 32 ports of 10G SFP/SFP+
- 24 and 40 ports of 10G SFP/SFP+ with 2 Native uplink ports of 40G QSFP
Cisco Catalyst 6840-X Series Chassis with All Four SKUs
According to the Visual Networking Index, Network traffic has grown exponentially over the last several years, and this trend is expected to continue into the foreseeable future. By 2018, there will be over 20 billion networked devices, a 100% increase from 10 billion in 2011. Business IP traffic is expected to reach 13.1 exabytes per month in 2016.
While devices grow in number, wireless connectivity speed is increasing. Gigabit wireless (802.11ac) enables a network that is three times faster due to its 1.3 Gbps capacity. 802.11ac Wave 2 more than doubles that. Thus, the bottleneck is moving “up the network” from wireless AP to the access uplinks. With 1G becoming the standard for access switch ports, access switch uplinks will need to move to ubiquitous 10G and 40G.
This 10G/40G-ready platform is ideal for those who want to introduce premium 10G services in small or midsize campus backbones. This unique platform offers 10G port density, full IPv4/IPv6 and MPLS/VPLS functionality with large table sizes (up to 256,000 FIB entries), and more than 15 years of best-in-class features. With a full suite of L2/L3, virtualization, security, multicast, IPv6, application visibility, smart operations, and rich media services, the Cisco Catalyst 6840-X delivers unprecedented capabilities on day one. This platform also runs on the same architecture as the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Supervisor Engine 2T and therefore offers stability with proven operating system software.
The Cisco Catalyst 6840-X Series chassis offers integrated resiliency by providing 1+1 power supply redundancy, single removable fan-tray with four redundant fans, and support for Virtual Switching System (VSS), thereby limiting network downtime, and makes sure of workforce productivity, customer satisfaction, and profitability.
The Cisco Catalyst 6840-X provides flexibility to build desired port density through four chassis versions. The four models come with a minimum of fixed 16x10G ports and up to 40x10G ports using SFP/SFP+. Two of the models come with 2x40G uplink ports with native QSFP.
- Cisco Catalyst 6816 with 16 10G ports
- Cisco Catalyst 6824 with 24 10G ports and two native 40G ports
- Cisco Catalyst 6832 with 32 10G ports
- Cisco Catalyst 6840 with 40 10G ports and two native 40G ports
Cisco 6840-X Models and Capabilities
You Can Install a 2-RU 6840-X Switch Just about Anywhere
Benefits You Get with 6840-X Series Fixed Backbone Switches
- Get the backbone power you need in the size you want.
- Overcome space constraints with a compact MPLS platform offering full Cisco Catalyst 6500 and 6800 capabilities.
- Scale and support real-time applications with no traffic loss.
- Gain better visibility with larger table support, higher buffering, and best-in-class multicast capabilities.
- Avoid traffic slowdowns with native 40G connectivity.
- Achieve high availability with virtual switching and 1+1 power redundancy.
- Simplify switch deployment and management with Cisco Instant Access.
- Support differentiated-service priorities across your campus network.
- Increase security with Cisco TrustSec, which enables the network to serve as a sensor, enforcer, and threat mitigator.
- Use extensive Cisco IOS Flexible NetFlow capabilities to gain visibility into your traffic flows through your network management system.
If you wanna read more info about the new Cisco Catalyst 6840-X Series Fixed Backbone Switches, such as the detailed the system specifications for the 6840-X, ordering information, you can visit 6840-X Series Data Sheet at Cisco.com
More Related Cisco Catalyst 6800 Series Topics
Cisco Catalyst 6800 Series-The New Campus Backbone Switches
Cisco Catalyst 6807-XL Modular Switch Review
To Know about the New 32-port 10-Gb Line Cards on Catalyst 6800 &6500-E Series