The Cisco Call Manager Express (CME) software has a new name, Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express. However, it provides the same service, namely IP Telephony that runs on Cisco Integrated Services routers. The Cisco 7921 IP Phone is one of a series of VoIP phones in the catalog. It uses the wireless standards 802.11a, b, and g and it has 2.4and 5 Ghz capabilities. Its other features are a built-in speaker phone and a two-inch display. A diversity antenna is available for better radio frequency coverage.
Main Features of Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7921G
The Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7921G supports a host of calling features and voice-quality enhancements. The device is an advanced media IP phone, delivering wideband audio capabilities. In addition to wideband audio, Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7921G supports presence, which enables users in a mobile Wi-Fi environment to view the current status of other users. Because the Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7921G is designed to grow with system capabilities, features will keep pace with new system enhancements.
NOTE: More tables to illustrate Cisco 7921 Phones’ detailed features, wireless characteristics, specifications, etc.
Call Manager Express you need first.
Configuring a Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7921 with Call Manager Express Step by Step
1. Type “enable” to enter the router privilege mode. In this mode, you can configure the router and set up the 7921 IP Phone commands. The privilege mode looks like this: “Router#.” (Exclude the period.) Privilege mode contains an editor that opens automatically. You type all commands within the editor, but there are different modes depending on the type of command you are typing. You get to those modes automatically by typing the command to initiate the mode. (Note: in these commands, case is not important.)
2. Type “ip dhcp pool VOIP” followed by “network 126.96.36.199 255.255.255.0” followed by “option 160 ip 188.8.131.52 lease 8.” This command sets up a DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) pool, a leased range of addresses given to network devices. The network term identifies the routing network on the router. The option number identifies the location of the tftp server on the Vlan (Virtual Local Area Network)and where the CME is.
3. Type “Interface Fastethernet0/0” followed by “description Internal Vlan” then followed by “ip address 192.168.9.4 255.255.255.0.” (Exclude the last period.) Here, you have configured an Ethernet port on the router.
4. Type “interface fastethernet0/0.2” followed by “description VoIP Vlan” with the next command as “encapsulation dot1q 2” and ending with ” ip address 184.108.40.206 255.255.255.0.” (Exclude the last period.) Now you have identified the tftp server, which houses the CME. The next step will set up the 7921 phone.
5. Type “ephone-dn 1” followed by “number 99.” Then type “label EntOffice” and ending with “name EntOffice.” (Exclude the last period.) The reason you type in “number 99” (not just 99) is that the office phone extension is 99.
6. Type “ephone 1” followed by “description home office” and then “mac-address 0018.95AF.2b73.” (Exclude the last period.) The last two commands are “type 7921” and “button 1:1 2:2.” (Exclude the last period.) The “mac address” is the phone’s serial number address. The type is the 7921 phone system, and the button command maps the phone buttons to the ephone-dn. This allows automatic configuration of the dial peer (the end point of a phone call – where you are calling) and virtual voice ports with the buttons on the phone.
More Cisco Unified IP Phone Info and Tips
Cisco Unified IP Phone Guide Overview on Cisco 7971 IP Phone