The Cisco 10GBASE SFP+ modules offer customers a wide variety of 10 Gigabit Ethernet connectivity options for data center, enterprise wiring closet, and service provider transport applications.
Main features of Cisco 10GBASE SFP+ modules include:
- • Smallest 10G form factor
- • Supports 10GBASE Ethernet and OTU2/OTU2e
- • Hot-swappable input/output device that plugs into an Ethernet SFP+ port of a Cisco switch
- • Provides flexibility of interface choice
- • Supports “pay-as-you-populate” model
- • Supports digital optical monitoring capability
- • Supports the Cisco quality identification (ID) feature that enables a Cisco switch to identify whether the module is certified and tested by Cisco
- • Optical interoperability with 10GBASE XENPAK, 10GBASE X2, and 10GBASE XFP interfaces on the same link
The Cisco 10GBASE-SR Module supports a link length of 26m on standard Fiber Distributed Data Interface (FDDI)-grade multimode fiber (MMF). Using 2000MHz km MMF (OM3), up to 300m link lengths are possible. Using 4700MHz km MMF (OM4), up to 400m link lengths are possible.
The Cisco SFP-10G-SR-X is a multirate 10GBASE-SR, 10GBASE-SW and OTU2/OTU2e module for extended operating temperature range. It supports a link length of 26m on standard Fiber Distributed Data Interface (FDDI)-grade multimode fiber (MMF). Using 2000MHz*km MMF (OM3), up to 300m link lengths are possible. Using 4700MHz*km MMF (OM4), up to 400m link lengths are possible.
*Except for version 1, which supports only 10GBASE-SR.
The Cisco 10GBASE-LRM Module supports link lengths of 220m on standard Fiber Distributed Data Interface (FDDI) grade multimode fiber (MMF). To ensure that specifications are met over FDDI-grade, OM1 and OM2 fibers, the transmitter should be coupled through a mode conditioning patch cord. No mode conditioning patch cord is required for applications over OM3 or OM4. For additional information on mode conditioning patch cord requirements please see: https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/product_bulletin_c25-530836.html.
The Cisco 10GBASE-LRM Module also supports link lengths of 300m on standard single-mode fiber (SMF, G.652).
The Cisco FET-10G Fabric Extender Transceiver support link lengths up to 100m on laser-optimized OM3 or OM4 multimode fiber. It is supported on fabric links only from a Nexus 2000 to a Cisco parent switch. Note this product is not orderable individually. For more information refer to Nexus 2000 datasheet: https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps10110/data_sheet_c78-507093.html.
The Cisco 10GBASE-LR Module supports a link length of 10 kilometers on standard single-mode fiber (SMF, G.652).
The Cisco SFP-10G-LR-X is a multirate 10GBASE-LR, 10GBASE-LW and OTU2/OTU2e module for extended operating temperature range. It supports a link length of 10 kilometers on standard single-mode fiber (SMF, G.652).
The Cisco 10GBASE-ER Module supports a link length of up to 40 kilometers on standard single-mode fiber (SMF, G.652).
The Cisco SFP-10G-ZR is a multirate 10GBASE-ZR, 10GBASE-ZW and OTU2/OTU2e module. It supports link lengths of up to about 80 kilometers on standard single-mode fiber (SMF, G.652). This interface is not specified as part of the 10 Gigabit Ethernet standard and is instead built according to Cisco specifications.
Cisco SFP+ Twinax Copper Cables
Cisco SFP+ Copper Twinax direct-attach cables are suitable for very short distances and offer a cost-effective way to connect within racks and across adjacent racks. Cisco offers passive Twinax cables in lengths of 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 and 5 meters, and active Twinax cables in lengths of 7 and 10 meters.
Cisco Direct-Attach Twinax Copper Cable Assembly with SFP+ Connectors
Cisco SFP+ Active Optical Cables
Cisco SFP+ Active Optical Cables are direct-attach fiber assemblies with SFP+ connectors. They are suitable for very short distances and offer a cost-effective way to connect within racks and across adjacent racks. Cisco offers Active Optical Cables in lengths of 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, and 10 meters.
Cisco Direct-Attach Active Optical Cables with SFP+ Connectors
Connectors and Cabling
Connectors: Dual LC/PC connector (-SR, -LRM, -LR, -ER, -ZR and FET-10G).
Note: Only connections with patch cords with PC or UPC connectors are supported. Patch cords with APC connectors are not supported. All cables and cable assemblies used must be compliant with the standards specified in the standards section.
SFP+ Port Cabling Specifications
- * Minimum cabling distance for -SR, -LRM, -LR, -ER modules is 2m, according to the IEEE 802.3ae.
- ** Links longer than 30km are considered engineered links as per IEEE 802.3ae.
- *** Specified at transmission wavelength.
- **** Requires 5 dB 1550nm fixed loss attenuator for < 20km. Attenuator is available as a spare.
- The part number is 15216 ATT LC 5=.
Optical Transmit and Receive Specifications
- * Transmitter and receiver power is in average, unless specified.
- ** The launch power shall be the lesser of the class 1 safety limit or the maximum receive power. Class 1 laser requirements are defined by IEC 60825-1: 2001.
- *** Both average and OMA specifications must be met simultaneously.
SFP-10G-ZR Optical Parameters
Note: Parameters are specified over temperature and at end of life unless otherwise noted. When shorter distances of single-mode fiber are used (<40km), an inline optical attenuator must be used to avoid overloading and damaging the receiver.
SFP+ Optical Modules Color Code
More about Cisco Modules and Cards:
Why Should We Care About 10 Gigabit Ethernet Pluggable Optics?
To Recognize Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series 8-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet Module
Cisco Interface Cards for Cisco 1900, Cisco 2900 and Cisco 3900 Series
Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series Line Cards Overview
How to Connect 2 WAN, 1 LAN through a Cisco Router?
GBIC Module, Main Function & Key Features