We introduced the new Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821 before. Now it comes to the new 8821-EX. What’s the relationship between the IP Phone 8821 and the 8821-EX? Well, The 8821-EX builds upon all of the features offered by the Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821 and adds nonsparking support for temporary exposure within potentially combustible environments. It is ATEX Class I, Zone 2 and CSA Class I, Division 2 certified. ATEX Zone 2 is defined as an area in which an explosive gas atmosphere is not likely to occur in normal operation and, if it does occur, is likely to do so only infrequently and will exist for a short period only (for example, less than 10 hours per year). Similarly, CSA Class I is a location where a quantity of flammable gas or vapor sufficient to produce an explosive or ignitable mixture may be present in the air. Division 2 is a location where a classified hazard does not normally exist but is possible under abnormal conditions. Zone 2 is an area in which an explosive gas atmosphere does not normally exist.
Availability Planned Q4 CY 2016
While the 8821-EX is sleek and lightweight, the design is hardened for users. It is Ingress Protection standard (IP67) rated and is sealed for protection against dust and immersion in water. The device is also MIL-STD-810G tested, with a dozen drops onto concrete from heights of up to 6 feet (1.8m), to help ensure shock resistance and avoid breakage if dropped.
The 8821-EX enhances security and simplifies configuration management. Stronger encryption is supported for certificate management and policies enablement with the EX model’s support of Secure Hash Algorithm 2 (SHA-2). Simple Certificate Enrollment Protocol (SCEP) eases IT administration by enabling automatic certificate management on the device.
End users will enjoy a larger, higher-resolution color display (Figure 1) and a user experience that is common with Cisco IP Phone 8800 Series desk phones. In addition, roaming between access points within the campus will support more seamless voice communications with the 8821-EX’s support of Fast Transition (802.11r). This protocol was specifically designed for mobile voice over IP (VoIP) communications devices within Wi-Fi networks. Bluetooth is supported for the user’s choice of third-party wireless headsets and adds freedom by untethering the user from the handset.
The 8821-EX supports Cisco and third-party XML applications such as push-to-talk.
A full suite of accessories, including desktop chargers, cases, holsters, and multicharger, are available from Cisco to support deployments. Consult the Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821/8821-EX Accessories Guide options and details.
Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821-EX
The Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821-EX-Features
The Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821-EX delivers all the capabilities of the Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821 with the ruggedness and resiliency certification needed for deployment in environments such as chemical and manufacturing plants, utilities, and oil refineries.
The 8821-EX-The Ordering Information
|CP-8821-EX-K9-BUN||Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821-EX World mode, battery, power cord, power adapter, and country clip|
|CP-8821-EX-K9=||Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821-EX World mode device ONLY|
|CP-BATT-8821=||Cisco Wireless 8821 Battery ONLY|
|CP-PWR-8821-NA=||Cisco Wireless 8821 Power Supply for North America, includes power cord and power adapter|
|CP-PWR-8821-AR=||Cisco Wireless 8821 Power Supply for Argentina, includes power cord, power adapter, and country clip|
|CP-PWR-8821-AU=||Cisco Wireless 8821 Power Supply for Australia, includes power cord, power adapter, and country clip|
|CP-PWR-8821-BZ=||Cisco Wireless 8821 Power Supply for Brazil, includes power cord, power adapter, and country clip|
|CP-PWR-8821-CE=||Cisco Wireless 8821 Power Supply for Europe, includes power cord, power adapter, and country clip|
|CP-PWR-8821-IND=||Cisco Wireless 8821 Power Supply for India, includes power cord, power adapter, and country clip|
|CP-PWR-8821-KR=||Cisco Wireless 8821 Power Supply for Korea, includes power cord, power adapter, and country clip|
|CP-PWR-8821-JP=||Cisco Wireless 8821 Power Supply for Japan, includes power cord, power adapter, and country clip|
|CP-PWR-8821-SW=||Cisco Wireless 8821 Power Supply for Switzerland, includes power cord, power adapter, and country clip|
|CP-PWR-8821-UK=||Cisco Wireless 8821 Power Supply for UK, includes power cord, power adapter, and country clip|
Note: For information about the desktop charger, multicharger, and carrying cases, refer to the Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821 Accessory Guide.
The Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821-EX-Guidelines
- This product is not a medical device and may use an unlicensed frequency band that is susceptible to interference from other devices or equipment.
- The Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821-EX is offered only in the World mode, and requires an access point that supports 802.11d to indicate which channels are to be used by the phone.
- A moist cloth can be used for simple cleaning. For the healthcare environment, Caviwipes and Saniwipes are the popular recommended choice for thoroughly cleaning the phone. Caviwipes and Saniwipes contain up to 17 percent isopropanol. Any cleaning solution containing a higher degree of isopropanol, including pure isopropanol, or an alternate alcohol-based liquid could potentially damage the phone.
- Carry cases can help protect the phone and provide drop protection.
- The Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821-EX is IP67 rated, meaning that it is protected from dust, liquid splashes, moisture, and water immersion between 6 inches (15 cm) and 3.2 feet (1 m). 8821-EX device users are expected to close the battery door properly and inspect the door seal on a regular basis to maintain IP67 functionality support.
- Use only batteries that are approved by Cisco. Use of unapproved batteries might be dangerous, and will invalidate the warranty on your phone.
More info about the detailed features of Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821-EX, such as the Buttons, Codecs, Security features, Provisioning and management, Wireless Characteristics, etc. you can read here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/collaboration-endpoints/wireless-ip-phone-8821-ex/datasheet-c78-737347.html
Wireless IP Phone 8821 & 8821-EX-Ruggedized In-Campus Mobility
If you have workers who are mobile within a Wireless LAN (WLAN) enabled campus for much of their workday, and whose roles are more rigorous in nature requiring devices with resilient, hardened exteriors, then the Wireless IP Phones 8821 and 8821-EX may be of interest to you.
Wireless IP Phone 8821 (the Left) & 8821-EX (the Right)
These six-line, wideband audio 802.11 Voice over WLAN endpoints are the next evolution of the Wireless IP Phone 7900 Series. They are designed to deliver cost-effective, reliable, resilient VoIP communications from Cisco onpremise infrastructure solutions and are ideal for workers in the following physically active roles:
- Nurses, doctors, technicians or other shift workers in healthcare
- Customer service and warehouse representatives in retail settings
- Operations and engineering personnel in manufacturing
- Service staff such as maids in hospitality and on cruise ships
- Workers on oil rigs and chemical plants (EX model suggested)
Notes: The 8821 phone is planned for availability June 2016 where country compliances have been achieved. The 8821-EX at time of this publication requires additional certification testing for combustible environments and is planned for Fall CY 2016. Please consult your Cisco representative or authorized Cisco reseller partner/distributor for further timing and availability details as these will vary by country and compliance testing they require.
The 8821 and 8821-EX both offer the following features:
- Support for cost-effective, comprehensive VoIP and unified communications features within 802.11a/b/g/n and ac wireless LAN networks
- Hardened exteriors that are military standard (MIL-STD 810G) compliant. These endpoints are tested for shock resistance by droptesting them a dozen times onto concrete from a height of 6ft (183cm) on different points of the handsets (face, top, bottom etc).
- International Protection Standard 67 (IP67) rated for ingress of dust and water. The endpoints are sealed against dust and protected if immersed in water up to 1 meter (3.3 ft) for up to a half hour and will still function.
- Six line/programmable feature key endpoints
- Wideband (G.722) audio with full duplex speakerphone
- High resolution 2.4 in (6 cm) 240 x 320 pixel backlit displays
- Bluetooth 3.0 for choice in third party headsets and an “untethered” experience from the handset
- Easily swappable, rechargeable batteries with talk time of 13 hours and standby time of 240 hours
- Dial-pad keys under glass to protect against wear
- Hermetically sealed USB 2.0 port
- Two soft key buttons to access screenbased applications, features, and functions
- Application button that supports Cisco and third-party XML applications such as push-to-talk
- 802.11r (“Fast Transition”) for seamless handover of voice when roaming between access points
- Full range of accessories including desktop and multi-chargers, carrying cases, holsters and belt clips
In addition, the following features are included for IT:
- Support for Secure Hash Algorithm 2 (SHA-2) for enhanced security with certificate management and policies enforcement
- Simple Certificate Enrollment Protocol (SCEP) for automated management of certificates. IT no longer needs to administer each and every device to initially install or update certificates
- Common Phone OS with other 8800 Series desk phones to simplify administration and ease project management of software updates
The 8821-EX builds upon the 8821 and delivers all its features. It is ideal for operation in settings such as oil and chemical facilities, where the handset could be operated during temporary exposure to a combustible atmosphere. Operation of the device would not ignite such an environment.
- Industry standard yellow plastics for fast recognition/location of the handset
- Atmospheres Explosibles (ATEX) Class 1, Zone 2 certified. ATEX Zone 2 is an area in which an explosive gas atmosphere is not likely to occur in normal operation and if it does occur, is likely to happen infrequently and for short periods (less than 10 hours per year)
- CSA Class 1, Division 2, Zone 2 certified. CSA Class 1 is a location where a quantity of flammable gas or vapor sufficient to produce an explosive or ignitable mixture may be present in the air. Division 2 is a location where a hazard does not normally exist but is possible under abnormal conditions. Zone 2 is an area in which an explosive gas atmosphere does not normally exist.
More Info from https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/collaboration-endpoints/unified-ip-phone-7940g/prod_brochure0900aecd800f6d4a.pdf
More Cisco IP Phone Topics