As the technology develops, now there are not only 1G, 10G transceivers in the market, but also 100G, 40G and 25G optical modules.
To meet ever growing bandwidth requirements of service provider and data center networks, 100 Gigabit Ethernet was officially standardized in July 2010 under IEEE 802.3ba. So Cisco provides the 100 gigabit modules for customers. Those Cisco 40G and 25G optical modules also meet various needs of customers.
In this article, we will introduce Cisco 100G Optical Modules.
Cisco 100 Gigabit Modules family provides customers Cisco 100G CPAK, Cisco 100GBASE QSFP-100G Modules, Cisco 100GBASE CFP2 Module, Cisco 100GBASE CXP Modules and Cisco 100GBASE CFP Modules.
- Cisco CPAK® 100GBASE fiber modules
Cisco CPAK® 100GBASE fiber modules for Cisco® switches and routers offer a selection of high-density 100-Gbps connectivity solutions. The modules are designed for connections in enterprise and service provider data centers and in service provider edge networks.
Cisco CPAK Module Supporting Features:
- Up to 10 100-Gigabit Ethernet connections deliver as much as 1 Tbps of front-panel bandwidth
- Form factor consumes 40% less power than CFP2 and 70% less power than CFP form factors
- Minimal footprint allows 20% greater port density and bandwidth than competing products
- Hot-swappable input/output device plugs into a Cisco CPAK-module-based switch, router, or optical platform port
- Interoperability with any IEEE-compliant: 100GBASE-SR4, 100GBASE-LR4, 100GBASE-SR10, 40GBASE-SR4, 10GBASE-SR, 10GBASE-LR
Cisco CPAK® 100GBASE fiber modules provide these models:
|Product ID||Supported Mode(s)||Supported Protocol(s)|
- Cisco 100GBASE QSFP-100G Modules
Cisco® 100GBASE Quad Small Form-Factor Pluggable (QSFP) family provides customers various high-density and low-power 100 Gigabit Ethernet connectivity options for data center, high-performance computing networks, enterprise core and distribution layers, and service provider applications.
Cisco 100GBASE QSFP-100G Module Supporting Features:
- Hot-swappable input/output device that plugs into a 100G Gigabit Ethernet Cisco QSFP port
- Interoperable with other IEEE-compliant 100GBASE interfaces where applicable
- Certified and tested on Cisco QSFP-100G ports for superior performance, quality, and reliability
- High-speed electrical interface compliant to IEEE 802.3bm
Cisco 100GBASE QSFP-100G modules provide these models:
|QSFP-100G-SR4-S=||100GBASE SR4 QSFP Transceiver, MPO, 100m over OM4 MMF||MPO-12 (12 fibers)|
|QSFP-40/100-SRBD=||100G and 40GBASE SR-BiDi QSFP Transceiver, LC, 100m OM4 MMF||LC|
|QSFP-100G-LR4-S=||100GBASE LR4 QSFP Transceiver, LC, 10km over SMF||LC|
|QSFP-100G-ER4L-S=||100GBASE QSFP Transceiver, 25-40KM reach over SMF, Duplex LC||LC|
|QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S=||100GBASE CWDM4 QSFP Transceiver, LC, 2km over SMF||LC|
|QSFP-100G-PSM4-S=||100GBASE PSM4 QSFP Transceiver, MPO, 500m over SMF||MPO-12 (12 fibers)|
|QSFP-100G-SM-SR=||100GBASE CWDM4 Lite QSFP Transceiver, 2km over SMF, 10-60C||LC|
(1M, 2M, 3M, 5M)
|100GBASE-CR4 Passive Copper Cable||Order|
(1M, 2M, 3M, 5M)
|100GBASE QSFP to 4xSFP25G Passive Copper Splitter Cables||Order|
(1M, 2M, 3M, 5M, 7M, 10M, 15M, 20M, 25M, 30M)
|100GBASE QSFP Active Optical Cables||Order|
- Cisco 100GBASE CFP2 and CFP Modules
Cisco® 100GBASE CFP2 and CFP2 modules offer customers 100 Gigabit Ethernet connectivity options for data center networking, enterprise core aggregation, and service provider transport applications.
Cisco 100GBASE CFP2 modules include main features:
- Supports 100GBASE Ethernet and OTU3 rates.
- Hot-swappable input-output device that plugs into an Ethernet CFP2 or CFP port of a Cisco switch or router
- Provides flexibility of interface choice
- Supports “pay-as-you-populate” model
- Supports digital optical monitoring (DOM)
- Supports the Cisco quality identification (ID) feature, which enables a Cisco switch to identify whether the module is certified and tested by Cisco
Cisco 100GBASE CFP2 and CFP modules provide these models:
|Model||Wavelength (nm)||Fiber Type||Core Size (microns)||Modal Bandwidth (MHz-km)||Max Distance||Digital Optical Monitoring (DOM)|
|Cisco CFP2-100G-ER4=||1310 band
|Cisco CFP-100G-LR4=||1310 band (LAN-WDM)||SMF||G.652||–||10 km||Yes|
|Cisco CFP-100G-ER4=||1310 band (LAN-WDM)||SMF||G.652||–||40 km||Yes|
- Cisco 100GBASE CXP Modules
Cisco® CXP 100GBASE modules provide customers various high-density 100Gbps connectivity solutions for short-reach data center networking, high-performance computing networks, enterprise core aggregation, and service provider transport applications.
Cisco 100GBASE CXP Modules provide these benefits and features:
- Support for 100 Gigabit Ethernet
- Hot-swappable input/output device that plugs into a Cisco CXP-module-based switch, router, or optical platform port
- Flexibility of interface choice
- Support for a “pay-as-you-grow” model
- Support for digital optical monitoring (DOM)
- CXP-100G-SR10 and CXP-100G-SR12 are both interoperable with any IEEE-compliant 100GBASE-SR10 form factors
- Support for the Cisco quality identification (ID) feature, which enables a Cisco platform to identify whether the module is certified and tested by Cisco
- Easy-to-use pull-release handle that is color coded for reach identification
- Capable of supporting 120Gb/s by utilizing all 12 optical lanes for high-density interconnect applications
- CXP-100G-SR10 supports breakout applications; each lane complies with 10GBASE-SR requirements and OTN rates up to 11.25Gb/s
- CXP-100G-SR10 and CXP-100G-SR12 both support breakout applications for 40GBASE-SR4
- Operating distance of maximum 100 meters over OM3 fibers or maximum 150 meters over OM4 fibers
- Power consumption of maximum 3.5W
- Operating case temperature of 0ºC to 70ºC
- MPO-24 optical receptacle
Cisco 100GBASE CXP Modules provide these models:
|Cisco CXP Module||Wavelength (nm)||Cable Type||Core Size (Microns)||Modal Bandwidth (MHz*km)||Cable Distance|